Call for Submissions: Fat Queer Anthology
Working Title: /Spilling Over: A Fat, Queer Anthology
Editor: Jessica Giusti, Feminist Studies Ph.D.
Student, University of Minnesota
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2008
Despite the attention given by queer studies to the materiality of bodies
and the cultural and social inscriptions that designate them, still a
dearth of both scholarship and literature exists around intersections of
gender, sexuality, and fatness.
As fat studies begins to emerge as a viable academic location of inquiry,
questions surface as to how fat bodies, deemed "excessive" in their
trespasses of size and space, create even more complex subject positions
when compounded by queer desires.
This proposed anthology seeks contributions addressing junctions of "fat"
and "queer" in pieces that consider the representations and resistances of
non-normative corporeality and also writings considering the theoretical
conceptions of these intricate subjectivities.
Spilling Over will reflect the notions of excess, boundaries, and
containment implied by the labels "fat" and "queer" both singularly and
In the form of scholarly writing and creative non-fiction pieces, essay
submissions might consider (but are
not limited to):
* theorizing the concept of "excess" as it pertains to fatness and queerness
* fat and queer identities; personal narratives; reclaiming "fat" and "queer"
* notions of (in)visibility, hypervisibility, and passing and/or privilege
* intersections of race, class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity,(dis)ability,
age, and religion
* the economics of the obesity "epidemic" and the diet industry
* fat, queer art and performance; performativity
* pleasure, sex-positivity, eroticizing non-normative bodies
* acceptance movements, political activism, resistance
* the engagement of feminism with fatness
* global, transnational, transcultural constructions of fat, queer bodies
* critical reflections of fatness and queerness in media, literature,
film, music, and visual arts
* the rhetoric of fat oppression, fatphobia, homophobia, transphobia,
bigotry, responding to and/or addressing hate speech
By December 1, 2008, please send your 2,000– 6,000 word submission, along
with your complete contact information and a 50-100 word biography, to
.. with the subject line of "Spilling Over–
" Submissions must be received in 12 point Times New Roman font and sent
in via Word documents(PDFs will not be accepted).